Last month I overheard a conversation. A group of young adults were discussing the etiquette of dating, specifically whether the male or the female should pay for a date.
One young woman said that she felt it was appropriate for the boy to pay for the dates until they chose to officially declare themselves as a couple; then she would begin paying for herself. So essentially, during the ‘courting’ phase of a relationship, the woo-er should do the paying.
Some of the equal-opportunists in the group felt that whoever had the better paying job (or a job at all) should do the paying, regardless of gender.
A few of the young men were quite traditional and felt that the boy should always pay. There were no hard core feminists present.
The conversation then veered towards ideas for inexpensive dates. The best one came from a young man who said his favourite thing to do was to take his girlfriend to his Oma’s house for Borscht.
Here’s some other ideas for cheap dates:
- Go for a walk in a park. Hold hands even. (Don’t tell your mom I said that.)
2. Find out when your favourite coffee shop is offering BOGO drinks. If you’re equal opportunists, split the cost of the one drink.
3. Get a movie out of the library and watch it at your house. Splurge on hot air or stove top popcorn (and realize with a shock how much they’re milking you for this at theatres.)
4. Visit your local art gallery on pay-what-you-can day – or come to Abbotsford where the Reach Gallery Museum is always free.
5. Go to Costco on Friday night when they’re giving out free samples of everything.
6. Volunteer as ushers together at your local community theatre, see the play for free.
7. Find a bird sanctuary, go look for birds. Practice bird calls together.
8. Cash in your parents’ liquor bottles, then take your profits to a local thrift shop and buy each other something fun. (Bonus in this one is that you clean out that room in your parents’ house.)
9. Go for a hike. Similar to going for a walk only more vertical. This does make it a little more challenging to hold hands but you can do that at the top of wherever it is you’re going. Call it incentive.
10. Take your sweetheart to your Oma’s house for Borscht.
What’s your thoughts on who should pay for a date? What’s your best advice for a cheap date?